Call for Delegates: Ambient Air Quality Objectives Stakeholder Advisory Committee
Alberta Environment (AENV) develops Ambient Air Quality Objectives (AAQOs) under section 14(1) and Ambient Air Quality Guidelines under section 14(4) of the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, and in accordance with the consensus priorities of the Ambient Air Quality Objectives Priority Setting Workshop.
The third Priority Setting Workshop was held November 10, 2009 to receive stakeholder input into the prioritization of substances for objective development or review. The workshop was organized with the help Clean Air Strategic Alliance (CASA) and a stakeholder advisory committee on behalf of Alberta Environment. A work plan has been developed by Alberta Environment to address the priorities from the workshop.
Purpose and Tasks
The AAQO SAC will review information on substances that have been identified as priorities for review of existing objectives or development of new ambient air quality objectives. The AAQO SAC then provides advice to AENV on proposed objectives. A sample workplan can be viewed here.
This is a one year term which may be extended pending workload. Three to four full day meetings per year are expected for the term. Approximately every 3 months (4 times per year but not July or August). Meeting dates are decided by the committee at the end of each meeting or by a poll.
Next AAQOSAC Meeting: September 13, 9:30-2:30pm, Edmonton, AB
Expense reimbursement and honoraria are available in accordance with the remuneration guidelines of a Government of Alberta Ministerial Advisory Committee.
AEN is seeking delegates with:
- familiarity with air quality management and comfort with technical air quality information
- familiarity with or past-participation in AENV and/or CASA processes
- experience in consensus-based decision making and providing recommendations
- commitment to effectively provide two-way communication between the Committee and the AEN Clean Air/Energy Caucus
- membership in an AEN member-group in good standing
- any form of publication related to ambient air quality objectives or management (including organization newsletters, website postings, media work, or formal publications) by either the applicant or applicant’s member group.
Please reply to the AEN office (coordinator [at] aenweb [dot] ca) by August 24, 2012 at 5:00pm providing:
- your contact information (including address, email, and phone number)
- the name of the AEN member-group in-good-standing which you will represent
- a brief description of your background and abilities, particularly those relevant to the selection criteria (1-2 pages), may include resume also.
Nomination and election of delegates will take place on the Clean Air & Energy Caucus conference call (12 noon, Tuesday, August 28, 2012). Contact the AEN Office for dial-in information.